Florida Textures

I just got back from several days near St. Petersburg, Florida. Escaping the bitter cold gripping us here was a joy and I dearly miss the moderate temperatures as I bundle up to face the cold winds. It was lovely to relax and during the stay I had a tweetup with Julie to spend some time talking about pens, people, and trying out each other’s selected specimens of inks and the tubes that you fill with such. The culmination was a lovely display of fireworks viewed after some Spanish tapas.

Florida is a bit foreign to me with its sand, surf, palm trees and retired folks in flowered shirts. One thing that I noticed was the different patterns and textures formed by what I saw around me. Sun shining through the slats of a beach chair or the rough surface of paths paved with crushed shells was unfamiliar but pleasant. I’m going to save you from reading a boring travelogue and share some of the many pictures I took while there. These are of the textures and surfaces I saw around me while being warm for once.

1. Kim
    January 3, 2010, 11:06 pm

Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing – this is great photography!

January 4, 2010, 10:13 am

Kim: Thanks. Not sure about “great” but I enjoyed doing it with my little superzoom camera. Of course I love using Lightroom to sort through the 400 pics I took. LOL! It’s funny how back when I had a 36 exp. roll of film I had to be careful what I shot but now I can click away to my heart’s content.

I’ve saw your outer banks photos and those were great photography too!

3. Chito Limson
    January 4, 2010, 4:47 pm

I love these photos, Tom. You really captured the essence of Florida with that ‘little superzoom camera’.

January 7, 2010, 10:12 pm

Chito: That’s nice of you to say. I don’t know if I captured the essence but I did capture a bunch of flamingo butts.

5. January 7, 2010, 10:39 pm

Well, Tom–I am so in the dark about you! First of all, I really enjoyed the Florida pictures: beautiful escape. So then I start perusing your blog, which I didn’t know existed until Anne Marie posted the picture enticement on FB, and here I am. I’ve been to the Pen Show, the Stationary post, Pen, Paper, Ink, and Pugless (he should be acknowledging that beautiful blue pen!), and finally even read about your Ink giveaway! This is a great blog, and I look forward to spending more time here.
    I’m also very interested in your snorkels! I’ve never written with a pen that felt like that when the tip met the paper.
    I look forward to our dinner. We’ll plan soon.
    And thank you for the best Christmas present under our tree, except for the beautiful olive wood bowl that D&T gave me!
    HAPPY NEW DECADE!
    Annelle

January 8, 2010, 10:26 am

Annelle: I don’t think there’s much to be in the dark about. I’m much more overcast if I were to think about it. I’m glad you liked the ramblings here. 🙂

7. January 8, 2010, 10:28 am

Wonderful images! I love the macro concept of the entire set. You’ve got a great artistic eye for detail! :))

January 8, 2010, 11:45 am

Jenny: As I said when you take 400 pictures a few will turn out OK. Thanks for the compliment.

8. January 10, 2010, 5:34 pm

A pen lunch, how wonderful! Utterly super photography and yet another great read! Such a fan of your blog.

January 10, 2010, 7:33 pm

Kate: That’s a great compliment since I think your blog is so elegant and fascinating. Thank you.

10. Valerie
    January 12, 2010, 10:16 am

Nice photos, but that ligature is to die for!

January 12, 2010, 1:51 pm

Valerie: Took me a few seconds to understand what you meant. LOL! I have those silly sentences rotate when the page loads. I do love a good ligature.